Gem Hunter (Gary W. Bowersox) Biography
Gary W. Bowersox
PO Box 89646
Honolulu, HI 96830
- President and CEO - Gem Hunters Corporation 2005 to date
- President and Chairman - GeoVision, Inc./Gem Industries, Inc. 1974 - to date
- President and Chief Executive Officer - United Pacific Corp. 1971-1974
- President - Bowersox, Dohrman & Co. 1969-1971
- Chief of Operations - US Army Audit Agency-Pacific 1967-1969
- Senior Advisor - USAID/DAI/ASMED - USAID project, "Revitalization of the Gemstone Industry of Afghanistan 2008- to date. Senior Advisor - Deutsche Gesellschaft für Technische Zusammenarbeit (GTZ) GmbH - 2010
- Senior Advisor - Sibley International - USAID project, "Revitalization of the Gemstone Industry of Afghanistan" - 2005 - 2009
- US Department of Defense September 2001-2004 (periodic, unofficial and nonpaying)
- Government of Afghanistan Consultant 1996-1997
- Gemological Institute of America 1973-1996
- Graduate School MBA Program - University of Hawaii 1967-1970
- US Army Finance School - 1964 -1965
- Graduate School MBA Program - Western Michigan University 1962-1963
- Western Michigan University- BBA degree 1958-1962
- Member - Rotary International Club - Chairman, International Committee
- Member - Lions Club International
- Fellow - The Explorer's Club
- Fellow - Royal Geographic Society (Past)
- Member- Gemological Institute of America Alumni Association
- Member - Retired Army Finance Officer Association
- Member - Western Michigan University Alumni Association
- Member - Publishers Marketing Association
- Member - Hawaii Yacht Club
- Member - Rock and Mineral Society of Hawaii, Inc.
- Thirty nine years of exploration and research of gems and minerals in Afghanistan and Central Asia.
Surveyed every emerald mine and every ruby mine know in Afghanistan 2009.
- Completed, as presenter/consultant, a 50-minute TV documentary "The Gem Hunter in Afghanistan 2001"
- Chaired eight symposiums on "Gems and Minerals of the Hindu Kush and Central Asia."
- Solo flights in both Piper Cubs and Cessna aircraft
- Traveled to over 86 countries and worked with gem miners in Afghanistan, Brazil, Burma, Madagascar, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Tajikistan and Thailand.
- Served as a US Army Major in Viet Nam (Veteran)
Speeches and Lectures:
- Over 1,000 speeches and lectures to such groups as The Explorer's Club, Gemological Institute of America, The Smithsonian Institute of Natural History, Museums, Mining Engineers Association, Rotary Clubs, Gem and Mineral Groups, Middle East Institute, Universities, U.S. Embassy, Kabul, several US Army Bases in Afghanistan, etc.
- "Appeared on ABC "Good Morning America-NYC," "CNN-Washington, DC," and FOX News New York and over 500 television and radio programs.
- Told a "Gem Hunter Story" on stage at the Players Club in New York
City. This was a Moth production (2002)
- Received the Kamehameha Lions Club Award for directing humanitarian aide to the people of Afghanistan via the Lions International eye-glass program - 2009.
- Received award for leading the expedition and carrying The Explorer's Club flag on a
- Hindu Kush (Afghanistan-Tajikistan) Expedition - 2004
- Who's Who in the Jewelry Business - 1980
- Selected to be listed in Outstanding Young Men of America - 1969